Students interested in becoming a SSC tutor must meet the following minimum qualifications:
- Have an overall GPA of 3.00 or higher
- Have a minimum grade of a B+ in the course(s) they wish to tutor
- Must be of at least a sophomore standing in Fall 2018
- Must have taken the course(s) they wish to tutor at Virginia Tech
- Must be available to attend the New Tutor Training on Sunday, August 19, 2018 (the day before the start of fall semester)
- Must be available to attend Spring Training (time will be set during Fall 2018)
The SSC Tutoring Program is certified by the College Reading and Learning Association. According to our certification requirements, students selected to the program must complete 10 hours of SSC approved tutor training before they can begin to tutor.
- gain teaching experience
- reinforce their own course-related knowledge through assisting others
- gain experience working with others who share views different from your own
- learn to consider other’s points of view
- help other students learn and develop effective study skills
- critically analyze situations to determine best approach to use with tutees
- earn extra money: hourly wage starts at $8.50/hour
Tutor Interest Sessions
Interested student are strongly encouraged to attend one of the following Tutor Information Sessions. All sessions will be held in 111 Femoyer Hall.
- Feb 5, 2018 5pm - 6pm
- Feb 9, 2018 12:30pm - 1:30pm
- Feb 13, 2018 4pm - 5pm
- Feb 21, 2018 12:30pm - 1:30pm
If you cannot attend one of these scheduled sessions, please CLICK HERE to review the presentation from the session.
Application Timeline and Submission Instructions
- The online application must be submitted by Friday, March 2, 2018 by 5:00 PM.
- Online faculty endorsement forms are due Friday, March 9, 2018. This form will automatically be sent to the faculty member you identify on the application.
- Completed applications will be reviewed as received and qualified applicants will be contacted to schedule a personal interview. Interviews will be conducted in late March and early April.
- Applicants will be notified of final decisions no later than June 30, 2018.
If you have questions regarding the Tutoring Program or tutor application process, please contact The Student Success Center at (540) 231-5499 or e-mail Noha Elsherbiny at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Office Address and Phone Numbers:
The Student Success Center (MC 0276)
110 Femoyer Hall, Virginia Tech
280 Stanger Street
(540) 231-5499 (p)
(540) 231-2130 (f)
Hours of Operation:
SSC Office Hours
Monday-Friday 8 AM - 5 PM
Tutoring Program Hours
Monday-Thursday 10 AM - 6 PM
Friday 10 AM - 3 PM