Hours: Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM, contingent upon space and staff availability.
Test proctoring is available through the Student Success Center by appointment only and with limited availability. The information below provides an overview of our proctoring services and instructions for requesting to have a test proctored in the SSC.
Requests for test proctoring should be submitted at least 7 business days in advance of the requested test date. Because of limited space and staff availability, SSC may not be able to provide a proctor on the requested day.
Late requests (less than 7 business days before the test date) should be directed to the proctoring services coordinator by calling 540-231-5499.
Proctoring policies and procedures can vary depending on the college, department, and/or instructor for the course. Please confirm with your instructor what forms, if any, the proctor needs to complete. In some cases, the forms require signatures from both the student and proctor.
- Student Information and Responsibilities - VT Courses
- Student Information and Responsibilities - non VT Courses
- Instructor Information and Responsibilities
Students should complete and submit online a SSC Request for Test Proctoring form
If you are requesting proctoring for more than one course, a separate form should be completed for each course.
In addition to your contact information and Virginia Tech ID number, you will need the following information to complete the request form:
- Course name and number (example: CHEM 1035)
- Instructor’s name, email, and department
- Test format (example: online, paper, etc.)
- Preferred test date and time as well as two alternate dates and times you are available to take the test
- Test completion deadline
- Date and time class will be taking the test, if applicable
- Any accommodations you have are requesting (prior approval and documentation from the Services for Students with Disabilities Office must be provided to your professor)
- Immediately after clicking to submit the form you will receive an electronic message confirming that your request was successfully submitted. If you do not receive a message confirming receipt of your request, please contact the student success center at 540-231-5499.
- Students will be notified by email within 48 hours regarding the status of your request. If a proctor and space are available as requested, the email will confirm the day and time of your test along with the name and contact information of the SSC staff member who will be proctoring your test. If you are requesting proctoring for more than one test/exam for a single course, the email will provide instructions for scheduling subsequent test days and times.
If a proctor and/or space is not available as requested, the proctoring coordinator will contact you to try to schedule a day and time to take your test.
- Instructions for administering and proctoring the test: It is the student’s responsibility to ensure instructions for administering the test are sent to the test proctor at least 24 hours prior to the scheduled test day and time. To prevent a delay or cancellation in taking a test, students should confirm with their test proctor (by email or phone) that s/he has received the instructions from the course instructor.
- Day of the test: Students should arrive at least 10-15 minutes before the scheduled start time of the test and check-in with the Student Success Center receptionist in 110 Femoyer Hall. If a student arrives more than 15 minutes late, we reserve the right to cancel the proctoring appointment and require the student to reschedule the test for a future day and time.
- Students are required to present a valid Virginia Tech ID card to the proctor before taking the test.
- Cancellations: If you cannot take the test on the scheduled day and time, please contact your assigned test proctor, preferably 24 hours in advance of the scheduled test day and time, to cancel your appointment. If you have an emergency and cannot take the test on the scheduled day and time, please call your test proctor at 540-231-5499. The proctor will work with you to reschedule your test.
> Test proctoring for courses taken through another institution (Non-Virginia Tech courses): Students enrolled in courses through another institution should review the policies and procedures established by the course instructor and/or institution before submitting a:
SSC Request for Test Proctoring form
> It is the responsibility of the student to ensure the testing arrangements you set up with the SSC comply with the requirements established by the course instructor and/or institution to take a test at another location
- It is the student’s responsibility to submit a SSC Request for Test Proctoring form to arrange to take a test in the Student Success Center. The course instructor will be notified by email confirming that the request has been received and the status of the request. If a SSC staff member is available to proctor the test, the email will also include the following information:
· The student’s name, contact information, and course name/number for which the student has requested to have a test proctored.
· The name and contact information for the test proctor.
· The day and time the student is scheduled to take the test.
· Request for instructor to provide instructions for administering the test.
- Instructors who have a group of students requiring test proctoring should contact the program coordinator in the Student Success Center at 540-231-5499.
- The instructor is responsible for sending instructions for administering the test to the proctor at least 24 hours prior to the scheduled test date and time. The following information should be provided:
· Test format and design: online test, paper and pencil, etc.
· Time allotted for student to take the test.
· Materials, if any, the student is allowed to use during the test.
· If the student is taking the test on paper, instructions for returning the student’s test to the instructor/school should be provided.
Tests materials can be returned as follows:
- Scan and email pdf copy of the test to the instructor.
- Fax the test to the instructor.
- The instructor, or his/her designee, picks up test materials in 110 Femoyer Hall.
- Test materials are placed in a sealed and signed enveloped for the student to deliver to the instructor.
Test materials will be maintained by the proctor or the program coordinator in a secure location in the Student Success Center at all times until they are picked up or returned to the instructor as prearranged.
Office Address and Phone Numbers:
The Student Success Center (MC 0276)
110 Femoyer Hall, Virginia Tech
280 Stanger Street
(540) 231-5499 (p)
(540) 231-2130 (f)
Hours of Operation:
SSC Office Hours
Monday-Friday 8 AM - 5 PM
Tutoring Program Hours
Monday-Thursday 11 AM - 8 PM
Friday 11 AM - 3 PM
Please direct questions regarding our test proctoring services to Sachiel Mondesir by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or call 540-231-5499.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact our office at 231-5499 or email us at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.